Health advocates are calling attention to the health and safety implications of the gas industry.
- Physicians, Scientists and Engineers for Healthy Energy is a multidisciplinary research and policy institute focused on the adoption of evidence-based energy policy. View resources
- FracTracker shares maps, data, & analyses to communicate impacts of the global oil & gas industry & informs actions that positively shape our energy future. View health resources
- Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments provides basic information on fracking, health effects, and ways for nurses to be involved in advocacy around this issue.
- The Mid-Atlantic Center for Children’s Health and the Environment (MACCHE) is the Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit for serving residents in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Maryland Environmental Health Network, the Chesapeake Chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility, and the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments co-hosted a symposium to assess the findings of the study, “Potential Public Health Impacts of Natural Gas Development and Production in the Marcellus Shale in Western Maryland”. The goal of the symposium was to develop recommendations on next steps for Maryland policy-makers with respect to issues raised in the study.
- Read our Report from a Working Symposium On the Maryland Public Health Study of Marcellus Shale
Maryland Institute for Applied Environmental Health (MIAH) full report on Potential Public Health Impacts of Natural Gas Development and Production in the Marcellus Shale in Western Maryland, is available at:
MdEHN prepared a list of topics for comment for health advocates. Topics address issues raised by the public health study and which merit further attention.
- Read our Public Comments on the Public Health Study of the Marcellus Shale
- Read our Topics for Consideration: Potential Public Health Impacts of Natural Gas Development and Production in the Marcellus Shale in Western Maryland
- Read our compilation of Calls for Research on Unconventional Gas Development and its Health Effects
Read external reviewer submissions on the Public Health Study of Marcellus Shale:
- Comments on final report by John Adgate, PhD, MSPH, University of Colorado
- Comments on final report by Jonathan Levy, ScD, Boston University
- Comments on scoping and final report by Lynn Goldman, MD, MS, MPH, George Washington University
Resources on Fracking & Health in Maryland
- The Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU) developed two fact sheets on fracking in 2011.
Health Professionals · Parents